Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The author's voice

Currently, I'm reading Alvin Ho, Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things by Lenore Look. Earlier in the month, I read Bud, Not Buddy. Both books are fun to read and most of the time, I find myself getting drawn into the characters' interactions and adventures. However, sometimes, I feel like I am listening to the author and not the narrator. I am wondering how the "break through" happens, because I don't like being kicked out the experience of reading. I want to stay in the story. Sometimes, I think I am seeing the author because of how the story is broken up. When I read Bud's rules, I loved them, but sometimes I felt broken out of the story. With Alvin Ho, sometimes I feel like the author has lost Alvin's voice and put her own in. On the other hand, sometimes it feels very much like a boy is telling the story, even though I know a woman wrote the book.

I wonder if anyone reading this has ever felt "kicked out" of the story by hearing the author's voice. It's not a terrible thing, but it does interrupt the action, which I always want more of!

No comments:

Post a Comment